[Athen] Aegir Smart Pen

Shelley Haven ShelleyHaven at techpotential.net
Wed Nov 20 12:49:42 PST 2019

I’ve used Livescribe pens — personally, professionally, and with students — since the original Pulse (which preceded the Echo model) and have posted here from time to time about them and the accompanying software.

For the reasons that all of you mention, I generally stick with the Echo and dissuade students from using the Livescribe 3 and Aegir models unless there’s a really compelling reason (e.g., they need specific features on the Livescribe+ app). With the Echo (and previously, the Pulse), the student merely needs the smartpen and a Livescribe spiral notebook — familiar items, no special tech awareness needed "in the moment" when recording a lecture or discussion while handwriting notes. (Uploading to Livescribe Desktop or Echo Desktop later — that’s different.) If the student needs better audio quality, mitigate those issues by either sitting closer or using the Livescribe 3D Recording Headset <https://store.livescribe.com/ink-accessories/livescribe-3d-recording-headsethtml>. (The "3D" just means it’s stereo; it really does provide better audio quality than the Echo’s built-in mic.)

As you point out, the Livescribe 3 and Aegir models don’t have built-in microphones and use the mic from the linked mobile device (iOS or Android). This does add another layer of required tech-savviness and/or tech-awareness which may be a problem for some students, especially in the stressful moments as class is about to begin.

Students who needed the linked audio+notes but struggle with that added layer of complexity and potential unreliability may need to consider other options for linking recording audio to handwritten or typed notes: Notability app (possibly plus Apple pencil), OneNote on a PC or Mac, Luminant AudioNote <https://apps.apple.com/us/app/audionote/id369820957>, or others.

- Shelley

Shelley Haven ATP, RET
Assistive Technology Consultant
www.TechPotential.net