[Athen] Am I protected in the new online eBook world?

Deborah Armstrong armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu
Tue Sep 24 11:24:50 PDT 2019

All my students now are really nice people, but I have a lot of new, very naive students and I'm a bit concerned that I'm not fully protected if someone makes a complaint.

Consider this hypothetical situation: the student doesn't have a printed textbook. There's an option to buy it, but student doesn't do that because it's too expensive.

Student may purchase the cheaper eBook online, but in any case, I never receive a receipt. I really don't know if the considerably cheaper eBook version was purchased or not since it's integrated in to the LMS. In many situations, it's not that easy to tease a receipt out of the LMS anyway, and in other situations, the student didn't know how or did not purchase the textbook.

Student fails the course and says it's because we never provided alternate media.

Student did request this book over and over. It's not on Bookshare; it's not on learning ally and it's not in the local public library. It isn't on the ATN either, or at least I didn't have enough book information to be sure it wasn't.

Example: Professor syllabus says "Psychology" 8th or 9th edition". No ISBN, no full title unless that's it and no author or publisher. And I found the syllabus by pestering the prof over and over myself!

So I didn't provide alternate media. Am I protected as long as I was clear with the student that I needed either a physical book to scan or a receipt with full book information?

--Debee