[Athen] Kindle questions

Erik Ferguson erik.ferguson at pcc.edu
Fri Apr 3 08:22:28 PDT 2020

I use Kindle on iOS with font adjustments, tint adjustments, spacing
adjustments and text to speech via the Speak Screen utility with the new
Speech Controller. I love it. Also, the Libby app for library books sends
quite a few books to Kindle on request and that’s awesome.

Hope this helps

Erik

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 8:14 AM Deborah Armstrong <armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu>
wrote:

> I’m a dedicated Kindle user, but I want to know how well Kindle works for

> people with other print impairments.

> How effective is the Kindle app for the Mac and for Windows for your

> students who use Voiceover, Zoom, other magnification and tools like K3000

> and Read and Write? I’m pretty sure there is no way for K3000 to read a

> Kindle book but I could be wrong.

> Here’s why I need to know: here at home, I cannot effectively scan

> textbooks. I have a scanner, but personal deliveries are not a good idea

> with the shelter in place.

> But in looking up my students’ textbook needs I increasingly see that the

> Kindle offering and renting a book on the Kindle is often considerably

> cheaper than renting or purchasing from our bookstore, even when it’s an

> ebook.

> So I want to start recommending my students use the Kindle app and read

> more of their textbooks there.

> For screen reader users, the Kindle app works well with JAWS and NVDA ,

> though of course not all material is totally accessible and it’s difficult

> to get to a particular section – not as convenient as a Daisy book.

> But it’s fine for courses like literature where you have to read a book

> straight through. Gets a bit harder if you need to find a particular story

> in a large collection like a Norton literature anthology.

> And the app can be a bit tricky to navigate if you are new to your screen

> reader.

> But you can read books on your phone or tablet as well.

> What I need to know is how effective are the Kindle apps for people who

> don’t use JAWS or NVDA?

> --Debee

Erik Ferguson
Alternative Media Technician
PCC Disability Services Assistive Technology Team
Contact us for questions and support at:
Phone: 971-722-TECH (971-722-8324)
access-tech-group at pcc.edu
*Please Note: I am not in office Tuesday or Thursday. For immediate
response please use the email and number listed in signature above.*