[Athen] Bookstore politics

Deborah Armstrong armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu
Wed Apr 15 14:15:54 PDT 2020

RANT MODE ON:

Do you have this problem with your bookstore? Ours always has these awful abbreviations for books and is less than willing to provide too much identifying information like an ISBN lest students purchase books on a cheaper site like Amazon. They have to show a profit.

I know in times like these any college would not want to lay off bookstore employees, but it seems to me in the long run we'd be way better off it students were encouraged to buy books the cheapest way possible.

For example this morning, a student sent me a receipt for a book that read
LAB MANUAL+WORKBK.F/BIOLOG.ANTHRO.(LL) SOLURI 1 $53.47
I looked at the actual bookstore information for this course; same thing. Instructor's syllabus also probably says the same thing. Hard to provide alt media with minimal info like this.

RANT MODE OFF!

--Debee