[Athen] Seeking recommendations for M4A converter

Joseph Polizzotto MA jpolizzotto at berkeley.edu
Mon Apr 20 11:54:13 PDT 2020

Debee,

If you don't mind working from the command line, you can also use FFmpeg
<https://www.ffmpeg.org/>. You can type a command like the following in the
terminal to get your desired file:

ffmpeg -i input.m4a output.wav

You can also try converting directly to MP3 from M4A and see if the quality
is still too poor for your needs. Here is a command that can do that;

ffmpeg -i input.m4a -acodec libmp3lame -ab 256k output.mp3

It is possible to write a short script that does this process in a loop for
all of the files in a directory.

I came across this article that touches on the decline of usability of many
desktop applications <https://datagubbe.se/decusab/>. I thought you could
relate to a lot of what is said there. Those are also arguments in favor of
using the command line! (BTW I am not referring to any desktop applications
mentioned in this thread).

HTH,

Joseph

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 7:43 AM Deborah Armstrong <armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu>
wrote:

> Now that we have so many webinars/courses in zoom, I’m seeking a simple

> converter for Windows that will create .wav files from .M4A. The editor I

> prefer to use likes wav files or Mp3, but if you convert to mp3 you reduce

> the audio quality just a bit, so I’d prefer to convert to wav, edit it and

> then convert to Mp3.

> When I record lectures, my main tool for note-taking is to edit the

> recording about 75% so I have only a short audio file to retain.

> This is also useful when I’m working on a recording someone else made.

> --Debee

*Alternate Media Supervisor*
Disabled Students' Program
University of California, Berkeley
https://dsp.berkeley.edu/
<https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdsp.berkeley.edu%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7C4e0abffcb5b34567a22308d5e13137b3%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636662523854357148&sdata=yB5%2BUm2W6TBwpc%2BOF4DvN8wPoo1dozUwz8eCepYhTyY%3D&reserved=0>
(510) 642-0329