[Athen] Cengage mindtap

Deborah Armstrong armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu
Thu Aug 27 15:15:41 PDT 2020

I reviewed several Mindtap courses for an instructor using NVDA and JAWS. I am a screen reader user, so the only difficulty I had was when content was in the form of pictures.

Several of the accounting assignments had pictures of spreadsheets, rather than spreadsheets to work with.

So though content was an issue, the actual Mindtap interface was not a problem.

If content is an issue, Pester the Cengage folks. They have done an excellent job describing charts and graphs in many of their courses. And if it's a picture of a thing, rather than a thing, such as a piece of software code in a CIS course, there's no reason they cannot provide the real thing for the student to work with.

The student should be very comfortable with using the Insert-F5 command to look at the various page elements as the interface is consistent. It could use more structure, but once you know how it is laid out, it's not a problem to navigate.

If your student is new, remember there are many free voices now for NVDA. Many colleges unfortunately are still using Espeak because I don't think they've figured out how to get the better voices installed. Do a little homework, get those better voices working and your student's experience will be much more pleasant!