[Athen] NVDA, JAWS, and tables

Khoa Pham kpham at swccd.edu
Wed Feb 12 16:02:14 PST 2020

Hi everyone,

Recently when I've used NVDA or JAWS to test a page, either on Canvas or OU Campus, I notice it does not detect or announce that I'm currently focusing on a table's contents. The table does not have the proper html mark-up such as <th> or caption. If it does then the screen reader recognizes the table and announces it. I've created my own table with no mark-up in both platform and came out with the same result.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't screen readers supposed to announce when you're in table regardless if they are marked up with a table heard or not? I've made sure all my screen readers are up to date already. Thank you in advance for your input.

Khoa Pham