[Athen] Information on Hearing Loop Installations

National Deaf Center help at nationaldeafcenter.org
Fri Feb 21 08:05:06 PST 2020

Greetings Lori,

We saw your post on the ATHEN listserv and would like to contribute
information to the discussion. Selecting an assistive listening system to
make your facilities accessible for deaf individuals can be complex since
not one system will be effective for every deaf person in all situations.

Prior to sharing information on assistive listening systems it is important
to point out that as a federally funded program we do not endorse or
recommend specific products or manufacturers. However, NDC has developed a
guide that you might find helpful called Assistive Listening Systems 101
<http://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/als101>. This guide covers several
topics to support your institution in utilizing an assistive listening
system effectively on campus, including an overview of the common types of
assistive listening systems that institutions provide (including induction
loops).

The guide includes a comparison tool including the pros and cons of each
system, ideal settings for use, and additional considerations. For example,
since an induction loop is permanently installed it is most frequently used
in auditorium size classrooms and theaters. Regular size classrooms are not
ideal for induction loops due to the variation in class setting and
infrequency of deaf students that might benefit from an induction loop. In
settings like this, a portable FM/DM system might be more effective.

In addition, the guide shares a chart regarding the minimum number of
receivers and hearing aid compatible receivers needed to make sure a large
venue assembly area is compliant with the 2010 ADA Standards
<https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/2010ADAStandards/Guidance_2010ADAStandards.pdf>.
When using an induction loop in this type of setting the minimum number of
hearing aid compatible receivers is exempt since an induction loop can work
directly with these types of personal devices. However, special induction
loop receivers need to be available for individuals who do not have
amplification or personal device equipped with T-coil.

We also recommend surveying our colleagues on the NDC listserv who have
experience working with deaf individuals in postsecondary settings. If you
haven’t joined the NDC listserv yet, you may sign up here
<http://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/signup>. Then, you can post your message
to nationaldeafcenter at utlists.utexas.edu.

We hope you find the above guide helpful in your review of induction loops. If
after reviewing the information in this guide you have additional
questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. Shortly, you will
receive a survey asking for feedback about this post from NDC. Your
feedback is appreciated and will be used to improve our services. Have a
great day!

* NDC | help*
Savio Chan, Lore Kinast,
Dave Litman, & Stephanie Zito
*help at nationaldeafcenter.org <help at nationaldeafcenter.org>*
[image: https://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/]
<https://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/>
<http://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/>
<https://www.facebook.com/nationaldeafcenter>
<https://twitter.com/NationalDeafCtr>
<https://www.instagram.com/nationaldeafcenter/>
<https://www.youtube.com/national%20deaf%20center>

NDC is a technical assistance and dissemination center jointly funded by
the U.S. Department of Education's Office of Special Education Programs
(OSEP) and the Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA)
#H326D160001. Disclaimer:
the contents of this email do not necessarily represent the policies of the
federal government.