[Athen] Voice thread accessibility

Michelle Tuten: Clemson Online Accessibility Coor. accessonline at clemson.edu
Tue Jul 28 12:20:18 PDT 2020

Hi Wink,
I recently tested the VoiceThread Canvas LTI with NVDA and FireFox and
found the following issues. Many of these issues seem to appear on their
website as well. I didn't actually get to the point of reviewing a
VoiceThread itself as I ran into so many issues on the VoiceThread setup
side. My plan is to try to get the person who is our VoiceThread admin to
talk with the vendor about making improvements but, with COVID, it may be a
while yet before I get that ball rolling.

Findings:

-

It is not possible for a keyboard only user in Canvas to complete the
VoiceThread Setup task from the Main or Universal mode, so they are unable
to choose what their students see when they access a particular VoiceThread
link. WCAG 2.1.1
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/keyboard.html>
-

In the VoiceThread Setup, the buttons are not in the tab order, the
buttons are not described as “clickable” or “button” so users know they can
be interacted with, and the buttons cannot be activated using keyboard
commands. WCAG 2.1.1
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/keyboard.html>, WCAG 1.3.1
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/info-and-relationships.html>,
WCAG 1.3.1 (H44) <https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Techniques/html/H44>, WCAG
3.3.2
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/labels-or-instructions.html>
-

When a student accesses a VoiceThread Setup page, they are asked to
provide an email address and the field does not have a programmatic
label. WCAG
1.3.1
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/info-and-relationships.html>,
WCAG 1.3.1 (H44) <https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Techniques/html/H44>, WCAG
3.3.2
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/labels-or-instructions.html>
-

There isn’t always a visible focus indicator and sometimes a slight
shift in color is the only indication. The color shift often does not have
enough contrast between the focused and unfocused state to be noticed. WCAG
2.4.7 <https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/focus-visible.html>, WCAG
1.4.3 <https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/contrast-minimum.html>

-

Especially in the course home view, the hamburger menu in the upper left
has an odd almost layered structure to it that makes it difficult to
navigate with a keyboard. WCAG 1.3.1
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/info-and-relationships.html>,
WCAG 1.3.2
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/meaningful-sequence.html>, WCAG
2.4.3 <https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/focus-order.html>
-

When the banner image selector pop-up is opened, a screen reader user
must know they have to navigate to the very bottom of the page behind the
pop-up before they can access the pop-up’s contents. WCAG 2.4.1
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/bypass-blocks.html>, WCAG
1.3.1
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/info-and-relationships.html>,
WCAG 1.3.2
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/meaningful-sequence.html>, WCAG
2.4.3 <https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/focus-order.html>
-

In the pop-up for choosing a banner image, the visible button labels and
the screen reader labels do not match. Buttons also do not have visible
focus indicators. The Import from web button may also not be in the Tab
order. WCAG 1.3.1
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/info-and-relationships.html>,
WCAG 1.3.1 (H44) <https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Techniques/html/H44>, WCAG
3.3.2
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/labels-or-instructions.html>
-

The VoiceThread provided banner images are not in the Tab order and
therefore cannot be selected by a keyboard only user. WCAG 2.1.1
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/keyboard.html>
-

On the VoiceThread Home page, the Training and About links in the footer
do not have strong enough color contrast until the links receive focus. WCAG
1.4.3 <https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/contrast-minimum.html>
-

In the VoiceThread Home page, the double right chevron (double arrows on
left of screen) that expands a multi-faceted panel does not verbalize its
collapsed/expanded state. Additionally the contents in the panel can be
accessed by screen reader users when that region is collapsed. WCAG 4.1.2
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/quickref/?versions=2.0&currentsidebar=%23col_overview&levels=aaa#name-role-value>,
WCAG 2.4.1
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/bypass-blocks.html>, WCAG
1.3.1
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/info-and-relationships.html>,
WCAG 1.3.2
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/meaningful-sequence.html>, WCAG
2.4.3 <https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/focus-order.html>
-

In the VoiceThread Home view, the catalog of existing VoiceThreads are
such that the title is the last thing you hear when exploring with a screen
reader. It would make more sense if it was the first thing you hear. WCAG
1.3.1
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/info-and-relationships.html>,
WCAG 1.3.2
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/meaningful-sequence.html>, WCAG
2.4.3 <https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/focus-order.html>
-

The date on a VoiceThread thumbnail does not have strong enough color
contrast. WCAG 1.4.3
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/contrast-minimum.html>
-

The “minus button” on a VoiceThread thumbnail is not descriptive enough
for a screen reader user to know what it does. WCAG 1.3.1
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/info-and-relationships.html>,
WCAG 1.3.1 (H44) <https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Techniques/html/H44>, WCAG
3.3.2
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/labels-or-instructions.html>
-

In the Individual VT view, the links in the left sidebar do not have
strong enough color contrast. WCAG 1.4.3
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/contrast-minimum.html>
-

In the Individual VT view, the Refresh all link is not in the Tab
order. WCAG
2.1.1 <https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/keyboard.html>, WCAG
1.3.1
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/info-and-relationships.html>,
WCAG 1.3.2
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/meaningful-sequence.html>, WCAG
2.4.3 <https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/focus-order.html>
-

In the pop-up where you are asked if you want to create a VoiceThread
for the course or share a previously created VoiceThread, it is impossible
to activate the buttons with keyboard commands. WCAG 2.1.1
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/keyboard.html>
-

In Universal mode, after the Create a new VoiceThread option is
selected, there is no verbal indication that the subsequent page has
finished loading. WCAG 1.3.1
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/info-and-relationships.html>,
WCAG 3.3.2
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/labels-or-instructions.html>,
WCAG 4.1.2
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/name-role-value.html>
-

When creating a VoiceThread in the Universal mode, after a file has been
uploaded through the add media interface, there is no upload progress
indication heard. WCAG 1.3.1
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/info-and-relationships.html>,
WCAG 3.3.2
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/labels-or-instructions.html>,
WCAG 4.1.2
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/name-role-value.html>
-

[Possible user error?] When uploading media in a Create VoiceThread
interface in the Universal mode, I received an error that the VoiceThread
could not be found. If I must name a VoiceThread to create it, I should be
prompted to do that before adding media. This said, after I did add a
title, the Universal mode still said I had no VoiceThreads.
-

After a media has been uploaded, the screen reader accesses the Create
VoiceThread page behind the file upload page and the Return link that would
semantically belong to the Create VoiceThread page activates the Return
link for the files upload page. This is incredibly confusing. With the
exception of the Return link, the same is true of the audio
recording page.WCAG
1.3.1
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/info-and-relationships.html>,
WCAG 1.3.2
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/meaningful-sequence.html>, WCAG
2.4.3 <https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/focus-order.html>
-

When previewing an audio recording, the screen reader says to press one
thing to continue recording and Enter to Save. Enter continued the
recording. WCAG 1.3.1
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/info-and-relationships.html>,
WCAG 3.3.2
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/labels-or-instructions.html>,
WCAG 2.4.3 <https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/focus-order.html>,
WCAG 1.3.2
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/meaningful-sequence.html>,
-

The “Audio Recording using your microphone or webcam” button label is
deceptive. When someone is glancing through the options, the mention of
webcam may make them think they could record video and audio, not just
audio. WCAG 1.3.1
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/info-and-relationships.html>,
WCAG 1.3.1 (H44) <https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Techniques/html/H44>, WCAG
2.4.4
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/link-purpose-in-context.html>,
WCAG 3.3.2
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/labels-or-instructions.html>
-

[Notes] In what I explored, I didn’t see any function/content that could
not be made in an accessible way so that the Universal Mode is unnecessary.
It is possible that there are functions inside of a VoiceThread that cannot
be built in a way that can be completed by a screen reader/keyboard only
user in the main interface, and, in that case, having the separate
interface for just that part seems reasonable. Otherwise, I would move
towards retiring the Universal mode.
-

[There’s more…]

Hope this helps.