[Athen] BB Collaborate versus Zoom

Wink Harner foreigntype at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 22:09:49 PDT 2020

HI Craig et al ATHENites

I am speaking from personal experience with both Zoom and Collaborate
platforms as an instructor with disabilities. I agree with Lucy with the
challenges a Collaborate host has with the platform when using adaptive
software. I am a Dragon NaturallySpeaking user and for those of you who may
not know this, the verbal commands are built using the same Aria coding
used with screen reader software so essentially neither the blind/VI screen
reader user nor the speech-to-text user can use the software to navigate
the site, the menus or the commands easily (or at all). Zoom is definitely
less problematic.

Another bonus? Zoom allows saving a caption transcript, as well as allowing
easier access for a CART transcriptions, allows for a split screen so the
user can see the instructor’s screen/presentation and either an ASL
interpreter or the CART transcription in a side-by-side window set up.

The AI used in Collaborate to generate automatic captions is very low in
accuracy and is considerably more complicated to set up. As an instructor,
I have no choice the LMS platform the college(s) choose. Thankfully (I
guess), I’ve had years of experience troubleshooting these problems for
students. Now I am McGyvering solutions for ME to access!

I hope this personal experience is helpful.

Wink Harner
Foreigntype at gmsil.com

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 7:36 PM Lucy GRECO <lgreco at berkeley.edu> wrote:

> I have not done a full comparison of both but every incident that I've had

> to use collaborate was a very difficult problematic experience especially

> if the person with the disability is the host

> On Thu, Jun 11, 2020, 6:47 PM Craig Levins <clevins at broward.edu> wrote:

>> Hello Everyone,

>> I am beginning to assess the accessibility of Blackboard Collaborate

>> versus Zoom, and am wondering if anyone has gone through this process. If

>> so would you be able to share what you have found? Additionally, if you

>> have used either, or both, and have any opinions, suggestions, etc. and are

>> willing to share I would be very grateful.

>> Thank you in advance.

>> Best Regards,

>> Craig

>> ------------------------------

>> Please Note: Due to Florida's very broad public records law, most written

>> communications to or from College employees regarding College business are

>> public records, available to the public and media upon request. Therefore,

>> this email communication may be subject to public disclosure.

>> [image: Broward College] <http://broward.edu>

>> Craig Levins​

>> Associate Vice President, Institutional Accessibility & ADA Coordinator

>> , Broward College

>> P: *+1 (954) 2012313* <+1%20(954)%202012313>

>> E: *clevins at broward.edu* <clevins at broward.edu> | W: *broward.edu*

>> <http://broward.edu>

>> A: 1000 E Coconut Creek Pkwy.

>> <https://www.google.com/maps/search/Coconut%C2%A0Creek%C2%A0Pkwy.+%0D%0ACoconut%C2%A0Creek,%C2%A0FL%C2%A033066?entry=gmail&source=g>

>> Coconut Creek, FL 33066

>> <https://www.google.com/maps/search/Coconut%C2%A0Creek%C2%A0Pkwy.+%0D%0ACoconut%C2%A0Creek,%C2%A0FL%C2%A033066?entry=gmail&source=g>

>> [image: Broward College Top 10 Aspen Prize Finalist]

Wink Harner Assistive Technology Consulting and Training Alternative Text
Production Portland OR. foreigntype at gmail.com 480-984-0034