[Athen] Copyright law woes

Kate Deibel kndeibel at syr.edu
Mon Jun 15 08:17:17 PDT 2020

Librarian here, but not one specializing in copyright law.

The Association of Research Libraries released a great white paper on the intersection of legal aspects of fair use, copyright, and accessibility (PDF)<https://www.arl.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/2019.07.15-white-paper-law-and-accessible-texts.pdf>. One of the main interpretations that come from this paper is that the current accessibility law precedents give a lot of options when accessibility is the issue. The biggest issue is in regard to sharing the remediated copies, which ultimately seems to be at the publisher's discretion.

I concur with George that since you could legitimately get a copy of the ebook from the library via interlibrary loan, grabbing the necessary set of pages should be within legal means. Eventually, the instructor should, via fair use doctrine, inquire about permissions to use the materials on a long term basis.

I would caution against assuming that e-book excerpt equals accessible PDF. My experience is that most ebooks may have accessible text but that's it. Tables, images, and other markup may be quite bad if the originating content is a PDF. DRM protected ebooks in particular are headaches since most publishers only test for access by popular screen readers but not other reading tools like Read&Write or other text-to-speech tools. It's weird to have a document that can be read by JAWS but not a lighter weight reader tool. Fortunately, DRM stripping for accessibility needs is permitted by the Chafee amendment in the United States (as covered in the aforementioned white paper).

I would still talk with your library and legal counsel for more insight. Do share that white paper, though.

Katherine (Kate) Deibel | PhD
Inclusion & Accessibility Librarian
Syracuse University Libraries
T 315.443.7178