[Athen] Study on Library Archive Accessibility

Karlen Communications info at karlencommunications.com
Wed May 13 05:43:57 PDT 2020

Please share.

On behalf of Sammy Peter:

Hello,

My name is Sammy Peter and I am a librarian at the University of Wyoming. I
am working with Sara White, an archivist and disability activist on the
project "Understanding the Needs of Users with Disabilities in Archives."
We are writing to ask that you share this study with anyone whom you know
might be interested in or qualify for this study or if you qualify to
consider participating in our study. We are specifically looking for users
of archives with any kind of disability to take this survey.

Both authors served on the Society of American Archivists Task Force to
revise the organization's standards on the Best Practices on Accessibility.
However, revision of the Best Practices does not include input on the
accessibility needs of users with disabilities. As a result, the object of
the authors' current project is to conduct a survey of archival users
(researchers who have conducted research at archives) with disabilities to
better understand the accessibility needs when using archival resources and
facilities.

For the purpose of this study, we consider disability to be a broad aspect
of a person's identity. We define disability as the Americans with
Disabilities Act (ADA) definition of "a person who has a physical or mental
impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities."
This includes people with and/or/all of the following: invisible, visible,
and temporary disabilities, or chronic conditions.

If you decide to participate in this study, you will complete an online
survey about your work experiences. We anticipate that this will take no
longer than 15 minutes of your time.

This is completely voluntary. You can choose to be in the study or not, and
you can stop taking the survey at any time. If you have any questions about
the study, please contact me at scook13 at uwyo.edu <mailto:scook13 at uwyo.edu>
and Sara at sara.white1229 at gmail.com <mailto:sara.white1229 at gmail.com> .

Follow this link to access the survey:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://forms.gle/QgMCFAi8cxqxqi5w8__;!!KGKeukY!
maeAKTY-DvH2iURYhxSFYLbAEPN39EGyw3_d-gDoHSaAGf5IbIXEt41Jv-lCtWUR$

--
Samantha H. Peter (Cook), MSIS
Instructional Design Librarian

________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research
Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the
University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies
<http://www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies> ). Enquiries about list
administration should be sent to disability-research-request at jiscmail.ac.uk
<mailto:disability-research-request at jiscmail.ac.uk> Archives and tools are
located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html
<http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html> You can VIEW,
POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page.