[Athen] Otter.ai

Karlen Communications info at karlencommunications.com
Thu May 21 11:46:31 PDT 2020

Although I’m not a campus, I had been using the free version of Otter.ai since January when my course went partially online. Students, even students who were not deaf or hard of hearing liked having it as a backup to notes.

Within the past two weeks I looked at Otter for Teams because it has the ability to have the Live Transcription beside the Zoom Window if the Zoom window is not maximized. I’ve used it once/I have a two month trial. For at least one participant who needed it, it worked quite well and they had a poor experience with Otter.ai at a previous meeting/webinar. Having the ability to see the transcription beside the Zoom Window made the difference.

I find that the transcription is good and am still investigating how to increase the font size.

One of the things I like for students is that apparently you can highlight parts of the transcript and then show the text you’ve highlighted so you have a list of important things but I haven’t tried that feature yet either.

My program at my college has purchased Otter for Teams as we will be going fully online this fall.

It is the Otter for Teams that has the side by side capability and they recently reduced the number of team members to 1 so I could purchase it…the original default was 3.

Am also interested in what others have found about the tool.

I know Microsoft Teams uses Microsoft Translator or maybe they call it Teams Translator but I had to do a presentation in teams yesterday and found it a lot more complicated than Zoom! I also had to turn off my screen reader.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how others find Otter.ai.

Cheers, Karen