[Athen] Hypothesis annotation tool accessibility with JAWS

kerscher at montana.com kerscher at montana.com
Fri Nov 13 16:01:05 PST 2020

Dear All,

I took the liberty of sending this post to people at Hypothesis. I will be
setting up a session with their accessibility team for testing their
accessibility, and Charles LaPierre from Benetech will join me. We have
been talking to them for over a year under the Diagram project. This
functionality has great potential for published materials in EPUB 3. They
have made progress, but clearly it is not there yet. I'll post here as we
make progress. Below is what they asked me to post here.

>From Hypothesis accessibility team:

As you may already know, when reading a web page with JAWS, navigation
through the page happens in an invisible text layer using the Virtual Cursor
rather than on the document itself. If a user wants to copy and paste a
passage of text, they make the text selection in this invisible text layer.
Nothing is happening within the DOM here, and this is invisible to the
Hypothesis client. That is why selecting text with the Virtual Cursor the
annotate/highlight tools do not appear. Through some initial research and
consultation with a few of our Blind users, we've learned that JAWS uses
something called Forms Mode when direct interaction with the DOM is
necessary. Entering Forms mode does allow JAWS users to select text and the
annotate/highlight tools will appear. However, we've found that when
entering Forms mode and selecting text, JAWS does not read back the
selection to the user. This is fine for keyboard-only sighted users, but
obviously problematic for Blind users. We've reached out to Vispero, who
were unable to get JAWS to read text selection events out to the user (and
they declined to comment on whether they have plans to implement such an
affordance).

Our developers are researching some workarounds, which we are summarizing in
this Github issue: Improve experience for creating annotations/highlights
with NVDA (and JAWS)
<https://github.com/hypothesis/product-backlog/issues/1148> - as this is a
problem for NVDA as well. So far we've learned that not even Google has come
up with a satisfactory solution here for their commenting tool in Google
Docs. Google's documentation
<https://support.google.com/docs/answer/6239410> indicates that a comment
can only be added to one word. This would be a better experience for our
NVDA and JAWS users than the current one, but still not ideal (as sighted
users and blind users on VoiceOver are able to expand text selections to
entire passages, or narrow them to one character).

A few of our teachers have employed a workaround with Blind students using
NVDA and JAWS which may be useful. It involves three options, each with
benefits and drawbacks. None of these will be "one size fits all" and we
recommend working with students to find a solution they feel most
comfortable with.

* Option 1: Use VoiceOver to annotate (drawback: not available to
non-Mac users; also it's not always fair to ask a student to change their
workflow if they are used to another screenreader)
* Option 2: Enter Forms/Focus mode to create annotations (drawback:
JAWS and NVDA do not provide verbal feedback while text selection is
happening, so the experience is confusing)
* Option 3: Stay in Browse Mode / Virtual cursor to read. Create a
Page Note to discuss portions of the text (drawback: may result in a student
"outing" themselves to classmates when they don't want to)

Most of our students have chosen Option 1 or Option 3.

For option 1, consult Apple's documentation for VoiceOver
<https://www.apple.com/voiceover/info/guide/_1128.html#mchlp2741> .

For option 3:

* Use your screen reader to copy the passage of text you wish to
discuss, the same way you might copy text to paste into an email, Word
document, etc.
* Navigate to the Hypothesis sidebar and select the Page Note button
* In the text box, type the > character, a space, and then paste the
passage of text. Press Enter or Return twice
* Now, dictate or type what you would like to say about this passage
and post your page note.
* Your teacher and classmates will see the quoted passage styled as a
blockquote, with your commentary underneath.

The annotation will appear in the Page Notes tab and won't be linked to the
passage itself, but at least there will be context for the teacher and the
other students to go with the annotation.

Please note that we understand these workarounds are a stopgap rather than a
true solution. We are committed to creating an equitable, usable experience
for all of our teachers and students. If you or any of your students is
interested in providing feedback on how the annotation experience could be
better for Blind users, please send an email to katelyn at hypothes.is
<mailto:katelyn at hypothes.is>

Best wishes,

Katelyn Lemay