[Athen] New report & webinar Oct 20: Challenging the Use of Algorithm-driven Decision-making in Benefits Determinations Affecting People with Disabilities

Lydia X. Z. Brown lydia at autistichoya.com
Mon Oct 12 14:04:03 PDT 2020

Hi everyone,

I hope you are doing as well as possible. As you may know, the Center for
Democracy & Technology is now home to a new project focused on disability
rights and algorithmic bias, fairness, and justice.

On October 20, CDT will publish a new report, Challenging the Use of
Algorithm-driven Decision-making in Benefits Determinations Affecting
People with Disabilities, which analyzes the various litigation strategies
for challenging AI used to cut public benefits. Join us for a presentation
on October 20 at 1:00pm ET of the report’s key findings
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/challenging-use-of-ai-in-public-benefits-determinations-cdt-report-release-registration-124432361543>,
followed by a panel discussion with litigators and benefits recipients
about how states’ increasing turn to automatic is affecting disabled
people’s rights. The panel will discuss how advocates have challenged these
harms inside the courtroom and through other advocacy strategies.

We will be providing ASL interpretation and CART captioning.

Sincerely,

Lydia

*Lydia X. Z. Brown, Esq.* | Policy Counsel, Privacy & Data Project
Pronouns: they/them/theirs/themself, or no pronouns
Center for Democracy & Technology |* cdt.org <https://cdt.org/>*
*E:* lbrown at cdt.org | *D:* 202.407.8848

“if we
wanted
to.
people of color
could
burn the world down.
for what
we
have experienced.
are experiencing.
but
we don’t.
― how stunningly beautiful that our sacred respect for the earth. for life.
is deeper than our rage”
― Nayyirah Waheed

“[Disability Justice] asserts that ableism helps make racism, christian
supremacy, sexism and queer and trans phobia possible and that all those
systems of oppression are locked up tight. ... It means asserting a vision
of liberation where destroying ableism is part of social justice. It means
the hotness, smarts and value of our sick and disabled bodies. It means we
are not left behind, we are beloved, kindred, needed.”
― Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha

*If you or someone you know is currently in danger or in crisis*, please
consider reaching out to someone who might be able to help — click for a
list of text message, online chat, videophone, TTY, and phone hotlines
<https://goo.gl/Xifa1C>, including those specific to Deaf, LGBTQ+, and
trans people. *Generally having a hard time*? Try bit.ly/selfcarehelp for a
text-accessible, interactive self-care/executive functioning tool.