[Athen] JAWS and access to course content

Russell Solowoniuk solowoniukr at macewan.ca
Wed Sep 23 09:26:13 PDT 2020

Hi all,

I just wanted to add a somewhat positive experience I ran into this term with an online textbook and its accessibility. The textbook, Sociology in Action 2E is being offered for Sociology 100 through Tophat. The online textbook reads quite well with Jaws as far as the actual text goes, but there are diagrams that do not have alt text. There are exercises embedded within the textbook, and one of the exercises was a drag and drop exercise where you had to drag a definition to the matching term. This exercise is accessible with Jaws. What you do is read the definition, press enter to select the definition, and then when you arrow down, Jaws repeats the definition and then reads the term. You keep arrowing down till you hear the term you think is correct, and press enter to drop (match) that definition to that term. Of course, all is not well as I could not get this to work with VoiceOver on the Mac.

It's not perfect, for sure, but I was quite excited to be able to complete that matching exercise successfully with Jaws!

Take care all,

Russell