[Athen] Fw: Office365 - Online vs Desktop applications for accessibility

chagnon at pubcom.com chagnon at pubcom.com
Fri Apr 2 09:12:18 PDT 2021

I can give a bit of insight on this.

Although I don't use online versions of any software, I know that the online
365 Word will not have the Adobe PDF Maker plug-in, which is a highly
preferred method of making accessible PDFs from MS Office (better controls,
better more accurate conversion to the PDF/UA-1 standard).

So you'll make a PDF from online 365 Word by either of these methods:

1. Upload the Word document to Adobe's "Document Cloud" where it will
be converted to a PDF, or
2. Use Word's internal conversion utility, Save As / File Type PDF.
However, this utility has fewer controls and is manufactured by a 3rd
company for Microsoft.

I can't give more details due to NDAs with the companies involved, but I can
give you my opinion - neither method above would be my first choice for
making accessible PDFs from a word processing document.

Remember the old adage. you get what you pay for, and "free" doesn't buy you
much!

- - -

Bevi Chagnon | Designer, Accessibility Technician |
<mailto:Chagnon at PubCom.com> Chagnon at PubCom.com

- - -

PubCom: Technologists for Accessible Design + Publishing

consulting . training . development . design . sec. 508 services

Upcoming classes at <http://www.pubcom.com/classes> www.PubCom.com/classes

- - -

<https://mailchi.mp/e694edcdfadd/class-discount-3266574> Latest
blog-newsletter -