[Athen] Fw: Office365 - Online vs Desktop applications for accessibility

Joseph Polizzotto MA jpolizzotto at berkeley.edu
Fri Apr 2 13:05:23 PDT 2021

Hi Dawn:

Another thing—in case it's relevant—is that employees wouldn't be able to
use WordToEPUB <https://daisy.org/activities/software/wordtoepub/>.

Sincerely,

Joseph

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 8:34 AM Hunziker, Dawn A - (hunziker) <
hunziker at arizona.edu> wrote:

> Thank goodness, it's Friday! I don't know what keystroke I hit but my

> message was sent before I was done!

> Here's the completed thoughts/questions:

> Hi all,

> We are working to change licensing for Office365 applications at the

> University of Arizona. They would like to see most employees use the online

> applications (free) rather than a desktop application (requires a license).

> My Question: To have employees create accessible PDFs from their Office

> documents, do they need to have the desktop version or will the online

> application work? We have Adobe Pro licensing, so obviously the plugin

> wouldn't be available in the online Office stuff.... would that make a

> difference?

> I know that anyone using a screen reader and possibly other assistive

> technology will need a desktop application just simply because the online

> versions are a bear to work with when using a screen reader - not

> necessarily impossible but certainly not nice.

> Thank you!

> Dawn

> Dawn Hunziker

> IT Accessibility Consultant, Sr. | Disability Resources

> The University of Arizona | hunziker at arizona.edu

> drc.arizona.edu | itaccessibility.arizona.edu

> 520-626-9409

*Alternate Media Supervisor*
Disabled Students' Program
University of California, Berkeley
https://dsp.berkeley.edu/
<https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdsp.berkeley.edu%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7C4e0abffcb5b34567a22308d5e13137b3%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636662523854357148&sdata=yB5%2BUm2W6TBwpc%2BOF4DvN8wPoo1dozUwz8eCepYhTyY%3D&reserved=0>
(510) 642-0329