[Athen] Inline Images and PDF Tags

Joseph Polizzotto MA jpolizzotto at berkeley.edu
Fri Apr 30 15:53:14 PDT 2021

Hi Everyone:

I encountered a problem when converting an MS Word document with inline
images using Adobe Acrobat Pro's plug-in for MS Word.

The problem is that the inline images appear in the incorrect place within
the PDF tags panel. Specifically, the <Figure> tags for the inline images
are located *after* the entire <P> tag with which they are associated.

Instead of the MS Word paragraph being broken up into separate chunks of
content within the <P> PDF tag, the paragraph is contained as one block of
text inside the <P> tag and the inline images are represented as <Figure>
tags after that block.

For example, in the following snippet of an MS Word document, where P and V
are inline images in the sentence:

[image: image.png]
alt=Boyle's law (where P is the pressure and V is the volume)

I find the following structure in the PDF tags panel:

<P>
Boyle's law (where is the pressure and is the volume)
<Figure>
<Figure>

If I remove the tags and add them back using Adobe Acrobat Pro, the
<Figure> tags will be in the correct place, in between the correct blocks
of text, but the alternative text for the images will be lost.

This is the desired tag structure:

<P>
Boyle's law (where
<Figure>
is the pressure and
<Figure>
is the volume

What have you done to address this issue? Is there a way to avoid having to
remediate the PDF tags for this issue and get the correct tag order for
inline images when using Adobe Acrobat Pro's plug-in for MS Word?

Note: I am using my MS Word's 365 (subscription) version with the
continuous release version of Adobe Acrobat Pro (2021). I have attached the
documents as well.

Thanks for your help,

Joseph

--