[Athen] Tool for typing/scribing math and science

foreigntype at gmail.com foreigntype at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 16:35:07 PDT 2021

Justin,
a couple of ideas come to mind. You might try Panther Math with an iPad (
https://www.ctdinstitute.org/library/2014-10-23/panther-math-paper). There
used to be a fairly simple program called virtual pencil/virtual algebra
but I think it's fallen into the cave of antiquities. If the student is
able to type, even one fingered, MathType might work. If the student needs
to work at a faster pace with more volume, I strongly recommend using
dictation software for math. If you can lay your hands on a copy of
MathType with Scientific Notebook & Dragon NaturallySpeaking I know
firsthand that it will work seamlessly up to the level that you indicate
your student needs to be able to use. And there is no difficulty in the
correct complicated function signs needed. The student can compose using
dictation, and a copy can be printed out and were sent to the instructor
with the flawless clean typography that Scientific Notebook puts out.

You might also reach out directly to John Gardner who lurks on our list and
occasionally response :-). He's an excellent resource for technology for
math.

Let me (or any of us) know if you need more help on any of this and we can
troubleshoot/brainstorm some more.

TTFN,

Wink
Wink Harner
Accessibility Consultant/Alternative Text Production
The Foreign Type

Portland OR
foreigntype at gmail.com
480-984-0034

This email was dictated using Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Please forgive
quirks, misrecognitions, or errata .