[Athen] Alternate text question

Butler, Brandon (bcb4y) bcb4y at virginia.edu
Thu Dec 16 13:03:29 PST 2021

I’m a copyright lawyer, so that’s the lens I bring to this, fwiw. And again, the law says folks with disabilities don’t have to buy inaccessible books before you can provide them with a free accessible copy. Someone will have to obtain a lawful copy in order to create a remediated version, so it’s not the case that no one is buying the book. In the vision of our grant, university libraries and other institutions will collaborate to use lawfully obtained texts (from their collections, for example) to create remediated versions, then provide those versions to qualified persons. The grant is also funding work to create a metadata schema and workflows to keep track of the different kinds of remediation that can be applied to a file, so that future users can find a version that has the right kind of remediation for a particular student. The goal is to avoid a lot of duplicative labor by individual DSOs and better meet the needs of qualifying students.

Best,