[Athen] Freedom Scientific Pearl Camera

Deborah Armstrong armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu
Wed Jan 13 11:18:15 PST 2021

Has anyone managed to get the Freedom Scientific Pearl camera to work outside of a Freedom Scientific product?

I was hoping to use mine to do some image-only scans (for later OCR) and I'm having absolutely no luck.

I know I could use the camera with An Open Book, which I do have a license to use, but according to a knowledgebase article you have to completely remove JAWS to install An Open Book and I didn't want to do that.

Instead, I installed their FSCam driver for 64-bit systems and now the Pearl does show up as an unknown device. It's not recognized as a scanner or camera in Windows 10 2004.

I have K1000 and several other scanning tools, and none of them see the Pearl camera. JAWS sees it fine, but can't do image-only scans and its OCR is too quick and dirty for my needs.

--Debee