[Athen] Online discussion tools -- which is most accessible

foreigntype at gmail.com foreigntype at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 12:13:19 PDT 2021

Debee

FWIW, It's impossible for a dictation software user to interact on these
platforms either, especially in a synchronous environment. The "chat"
windows are not compatible with the dictation software so one must use a
separate dictation window (speaking out loud while others are speaking
aloud online? What could go wrong?) and do a copy/cut/paste from the
dictation box to the chat window. By the time all that's done, the
conversation's moved on. I haven't played around with the screen readers in
online chat windows, but the multi-tasking involved must be even more
challenging while trying to follow the train of the meetings,
conversation(s) etc. What I have done (as a dictation software user) is
request to "raise" my hand to speak aloud instead of trying to interact on
an inaccessible chat box.

I hope our "hive" comes up with some viable solutions for this. You and I
are certainly not alone in the challenges these platforms throw up (not
literally!) in front of us.

Wink Harner
Accessibility Consultant/Alternative Text Production
The Foreign Type

Portland OR
foreigntype at gmail.com
480-984-0034

This email was dictated using Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Please forgive
quirks, misrecognitions, or errata .