[Athen] Qualitative research software

Adina Mulliken am2621 at hunter.cuny.edu
Mon Mar 8 08:48:13 PST 2021

Hi everyone,
I’m wondering if anyone has info about accessibility of any qualitative research software?

The names of the products I looked for are:

* Atlas.ti- has a VPAT from 2013 posted on its site. (Not too promising)
* NVivo- I found this VPAT with no date<https://www.csulb.edu/sites/default/files/groups/academic-technology-services/nvivo_vpat.pdf> that I could find on CSU’s site. It says NVivo “uses 3rd party software” that didn’t/doesn’t work with screen readers. It doesn’t say which features don’t work. NVivo’s site says it works with JAWS<https://help-nv.qsrinternational.com/12/win/v12.1.98-d3ea61/Content/about-nvivo/accessibility.htm#UseascreenreaderwithNVivo> here. Dept of Veterans Affairs found it was “not conformant” with Section 508<https://www.oit.va.gov/Services/TRM/ToolPage.aspx?tid=6085> in June 2020.
* “MAXQDA” “VPAT” -didn’t find any relevant results on Google and I didn’t find any accessibility info on its site
* "Dedoose" "vpat" -didn’t find any relevant results on Google and I didn’t find any accessibility info on its site
* "Provalis research text analytics software" "vpat" -didn’t find any relevant results on Google and I didn’t find any accessibility info on its site

Names of some others I didn’t look up are

* Raven’s Eye
* Quirkos

I would consider other qualitative research software if I find any that’s screen reader accessible. I’m sighted and this is planning ahead for a project where I might be working with colleague(s) who are blind or have other disabilities.

Thank you for any ideas!

Adina Mulliken
Silberman School of Social Work and Urban Public Health Library
Hunter College, CUNY
Phone: will reply via phone or video chat upon request
Pronouns: she/her