[Athen] Use accessibility metadata in procuring published materials -- newly released

kerscher at montana.com kerscher at montana.com
Mon Oct 11 13:31:43 PDT 2021

Dear Ahead, DSSHE-L, and Athens,

Sorry for cross posting.

The Publishing Community Group at the W3C has just released the guidelines
for displaying accessibility metadata for published materials. Today both
VitalSource and RedShelf are providing this accessibility metadata in their
online catalogs. It would be wonderful to have everybody use this
accessibility metadata before they select a title for a course. Please also
forward this to the library folks on your campus, because the libraries
should be doing the same thing in their library searches.

IMO this is a really, really big deal, and if we demand this accessibility
metadata from all publishers, it can drive the market to Born Accessible
published materials.

Read about it at inclusivepublishing.org at:

https://inclusivepublishing.org/blog/user-experience-guide-for-displaying-ac
cessibility-metadata/

Happy to answer any questions here or in the library space.

Best

George

George Kerscher Ph.D.

-In our Information Age, access to information is a fundamental human right.

Chief Innovations Officer, DAISY Consortium

<http://www.daisy.org/> http://www.daisy.org

Senior Advisor, Global Literacy, Benetech

<http://www.benetech.org/> http://www.benetech.org

President, International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF)

<http://www.idpf.org/> http://www.idpf.org

Member of the National Museum and Library Services Board (IMLS)

<http://www.imls.gov/> http://www.imls.gov

Chair Steering Council Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI), at W3C

<http://www.w3.org/WAI> http://www.w3.org/WAI

Phone: +1 406/549-4687

Cell:+1 406/544-2466

Email: <mailto:kerscher at montana.com> kerscher at montana.com