[Athen] Math Accessibility for Canvas

Sean J Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Fri Oct 22 14:59:52 PDT 2021

Hi Allison,

Responding to your questions below -

> What is the status of screen reader compatibility with LaTex, MathML, MathJax, etc?

This is a rather broad question. In terms of LaTeX compatibility, LaTeX is presented as text in a LaTeX editor/interface and can be read with a screen-reader, if the editor interface is accessible. Some LaTeX editors are more accessible than others, but the actual LaTeX is just text. If the person is knowledgeable in the syntax, then it can be rather easy to read and understand with a screen-reader.

I recall TeXnicCenter is a somewhat accessible LaTeX editor for Windows. Another possible editor that I heard of is the SZS Editor (but I have not tested it) - https://services.szs.kit.edu/szslatex/?page=download

In terms of screen-reader compatibility with MathJax - Most browsers do not support MathML natively, which means you need something that will help with the rendering of that content in a browser. Without going into all the gory details, MathJax helps with the rendering of that math information (e.g., LaTeX code, MathML, or ASCII math) across different browsers. Screen-readers, such as JAWS, NVDA, and VoiceOver, can parse the generated markup content behind the visual rendering so the math looks good and is functional with assistive technology.

> Should we be recommending browser / screen reader combinations that work better for math?

For math expressions presented using MathJax on a static web page, we found the following screen-reader+browser combinations that work include:
- JAWS+Chrome (and Edge)
- JAWS and NVDA with Firefox
- VoiceOver+Safari

Note - we did not test all potential screen-reader and browsers combinations or all potential math symbols. Your mileage may vary.

Second Note - we have also found good support for KaTeX (see https://katex.org/) as it also has MathML behind the scenes for screen-readers. At least one vendor we have engaged with is using KaTeX instead of MathJax and the screen-reader experience was similar.

Regarding Canvas quizzes - one of our accessibility engineers, Clare O'Keeffe, did testing and found that NVDA+Firefox was the optimal combination in Canvas quizzes. Because there is an interactive component with the math and form input field, the screen-reader+browser combination is more specific.

For example, for radio buttons:

In browse mode, arrowing down, the radio button announces as "clickable radio button not checked" - no label text. You can then arrow down and hit the adjacent math, which announces as expected with "clickable" and the correct equation. You can hit enter on the math and step through it without inadvertently checking the radio button.

When tabbing to the radio button you hear "radio button not checked 1 of 4" and arrowing through them works as expected to select one - auto focus mode works as expected. Each radio button announces with no label text. If you exit focus mode when on a radio button you can then arrow to the adjacent math, hit enter on it, and step through it.

And for checkboxes:

In browse mode, arrowing down, the checkbox announces as "clickable checkbox not checked" - no label text. You can then arrow down and hit the combined text of the non-math string and the math, which announces as expected with "clickable" and the correct equation. You can't down-arrow directly to the math, but can navigate by word (CTRL + right arrow) until you get to the math and then you can hit enter on the math and step through it without inadvertently checking the checkbox.

When tabbing to the checkboxes, you hear a label from the combined non-math string and the hidden LaTeX string, so for the second checkbox you hear "clickable it can be represented as latex: ax 2 plus b x plus c equals zero checkbox not checked". You can tab to the math separately, hear it correctly announced, hit enter on it, and interact with it. Or you can browse by word to it.

> Also, regarding the PDFs, will MathML generated by MathType

> still be accessible once converted to PDF?

Short answer is no. I realize that math support for PDFs is coming at some point, but I have not seen that support available today and do not expect it anytime soon.

If the instructor is writing everything in LaTeX, then I would suggest the better direction is to provide options - rather than trying to make the PDF with math accessible, which will be difficult, then consider offering a PDF and HTML version of the file.

The HTML version could be produced from LaTeX using something like Pandoc (https://medium.com/@hjhuney/how-to-convert-latex-into-html-a4334ffda3f4) or TeX4ht (https://tug.org/tex4ht/). ePub might be another option to consider.

Also, if you are working in Canvas, then the instructor could copy/paste the LaTeX equation into the Canvas rich content editor to result in an accessible math equation in the Canvas page. Unless something has changed, that is how I created several math problems using LaTeX as the input along with the math editor in the Canvas rich content editor.

Take care,
Sean

Sean Keegan

Director, Office of Digital Accessibility

Stanford | University IT

530-564–2385