[Athen] Math Accessibility for Canvas

Sean J Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Sun Oct 24 15:45:15 PDT 2021

Hi Heather,

> If you enter LaTex formulas using the Canvas Rich

> Content Editor, what format does the screen reader output?

If you enter the LaTeX formula into the Canvas Rich Content Editor using the Equation Editor tool, then the equation output will be presented using MathJax. The Equation Editor is available on the toolbar and is presented as a square root symbol with an X.

If you enter LaTeX code directly into the Rich Content Editor, then it is handled as text content.

See the attached screenshot of the equation editor where you would enter the LaTeX code in the Advanced View of the Equation Editor.

> Does the student need to know LaTex

> or does the MathJax convert it to a different format?

Regardless of the input format (LaTeX, ASCII math, MathML), the MathJax rendered equation is presented visually as a math equation and a person using a screen reader then navigates using the appropriate keyboard commands to listen to the equation.

Canvas is currently using MathJax 2.7.7 and I do not believe this version supports Nemeth braille output (that is available in MathJax 3.x).

A student could navigate to the math equation and using the MathJax context menu (right-click on the equation), can display the actual LaTeX used to format the equation (right-click equation > Show Math As > TeX Commands). This will display the LaTeX markup.

Take care,
Sean