[Athen] Accessible MFA Tokens

Bossley, Peter A. bossley.5 at osu.edu
Wed Oct 27 16:40:35 PDT 2021

Depending on what 2FA vendor you are using there could be a number of solutions. We are using Duo and so can use Ubikeys which work pretty much across the board of most devices. They are simple plug and play USB dongles that allow users to just press a button when the system is prompting for 2FA. One challenge is that they may need multiple keys to be compatible with both their computer and mobile device if your 2FA is required on things they would be accessing via mobile devices. Since we require 2FA for almost everything (including email) this has been the sore point in that regard.

Some 2FA vendors support delivering codes via SMS or phone call as well, although these types of deliveries are discouraged because they are slightly less secure.