[Athen] Looking to add/update our tech for blind/visually impaired students

Normajean.Brand normajean.brand at hccs.edu
Fri Sep 24 15:39:35 PDT 2021

Hello all,
We’ve been given a little money to “add new or update” our technologies for our blind or visually impaired student’s use on campus. We already offer Fusion/JAWS/ZoomText, and Dragon on campus. We have the Kurzweil web license and Glean, which students can download to their personal computers, a partnership with Freedom Scientific for Fusion/JAWS/ZoomText for the Sponsored Software license for our students, and Microsoft 365.
My thought is to add items from the APH store like the Tactile Drawing Board but not sure what else to add to my wish list. We don’t have any one who knows how to Braille, or own an embosser or software for creating; so, I’m open to suggestions on these items. What else should I be looking for?
Note: It is rare that I have any students who know any level of Braille or who own an embosser or any Braille reading technology, however, this semester I have two and as luck would have it, both are in level 1 chemistry classes and algebra. One is dead set on becoming a aerospace engineer, the other is general/liberal arts - neither have had sight since birth. Most of my blind students have come to us totally relying on JAWS for their technology because that is what they were taught.
Thank you for your insights and suggestions,
NJ

NJ Brand, ATAC
ADA Tech/Assistive Technology Technician, Center for Learning Innovation
● Spring Branch Campus ● Suite RC12/13 - Note: Working remotely, off-campus, due to COVID-19 until further notice
● T: 713.718.5604 ● F:713.718.5430 ● HCCS<http://hccs.edu/> <http://hccs.edu/>