[Athen] Continual Engine PREP Feedback

Willard,Amy L Amy.Willard at MCCKC.EDU
Thu Apr 7 07:15:07 PDT 2022

Thanks for the feedback Alex. I had the same fear with it but during our trial we had a blind user test it out and their feedback was positive. Basically we had it generate alt text for pages of handwritten math notes and even though it was natural language the audio was the same as when we used Mathtype (like it said "degrees" instead of showing the symbol but it sounded the same, it said "two squared over three fifths" but did not type out the equation although the reading was the same.) I completely agree with the limitation with Braille. Our current students prefer their math book and tests in Braille but for short assignments like Webassign converted to Word and notes they ask for something they can read with JAWS. You have given me some things to think about and I greatly appreciate it.

Amy Willard
Accessible Technology Coordinator|ADA Compliance
Metropolitan Community College
Office: 816-604-1092
3200 Broadway, Kansas City, MO 64111<https://www.google.com/maps/place/3200+Broadway,+Kansas+City,+MO+64111/@39.068401,-94.5925967,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x87c0f0268c405bbd:0x3948585fea5ebee4>
amy.willard at mcckc.edu<mailto:amy.willard at mcckc.edu> | www.mcckc.edu<http://www.mcckc.edu/>

Preparing students, serving communities, creating opportunities for all

From: athen-list <athen-list-bounces at mailman12.u.washington.edu> On Behalf Of Stephen Marositz
Sent: Tuesday, April 5, 2022 6:40 PM
To: Access Technology Higher Education Network <athen-list at u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: [Athen] Continual Engine PREP Feedback

Greetings

I have not ever heard of this service until today and have never used it. One thing to caution, from the alt-text demonstration on their blog post about the service, it is creating natural language equivalents of math equations which cannot be interacted with by screen reader users or translated to braille in the way MathML generated from Mathtype is. This kind of service may achieve compliance, not accessibility.

I hope this helps
Alex Marositz
Accessible Technology Initiative Coordinator
Information Security and Compliance
California State University, Dominguez Hills