[Athen] hearing aid/headset mic question

Travis Roth travis at travisroth.com
Fri Apr 8 06:29:39 PDT 2022

If covering the ear is what is causing feedback:

1. Suggest user chat with audiologist to see if the hearing aids
feedback manage can be optimized. I'm not familiar with this model but
hearing aids are usually pretty good about this now.
2. Consider a headset setup that does not cover the ear. For example,
bone conduction such as Aftershokz. I think the new audio glasses style that
have sound drivers that sit in front of the ear and fire into the ear while
leaving the ear open should also work with in the canal aids. E.g., Bose
Frames, Amazon Frames? I think they're called and there may be another
manufacturer or two by now. Open earbuds such as the Bose Sport Open Earbuds
also sound intriguing:
https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/earbuds/sport-open-earbuds.ht
ml?mc=25_PS_HI_PL_00_GO_
<https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/earbuds/sport-open-earbuds.h
tml?mc=25_PS_HI_PL_00_GO_&gclid=CjwKCAjwur-SBhB6EiwA5sKtju38uSq6CCssnGSPDmtc
KFAY6uQdTNxAxDPdIJs7n3F4JR58UBju8xoCzO4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#v=sport_open_ea
rbuds_black>
&gclid=CjwKCAjwur-SBhB6EiwA5sKtju38uSq6CCssnGSPDmtcKFAY6uQdTNxAxDPdIJs7n3F4J
R58UBju8xoCzO4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#v=sport_open_earbuds_black
3. If the aids have wireless capabilities consider streaming the audio
to the aids, and using an external microphone separately. Programs including
Zoom and Microsoft Team Meetings allow for using separate devices for
headphones and mic. Hearing aids' streaming capabilities provide the best
audio experience most of the time. (Not all hearing aids have this feature
with in the canal aids being somewhat less likely.)