[Athen] Fwd: Resources for SPSS Statistics and accessibility

tristenbreitenfeldt at gmail.com tristenbreitenfeldt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 13:12:51 PDT 2022

Hello Howard et al,

I agree that if there is another (more accessible application that can be
used to accomplish the tasks for the student) it should be used. However, if
using another application is not an option, I may have a solution for the
student to try. I have not used spss or anything like it before, so I am
unfamiliar with the operation and user experience with this program and
JAWS, but if most of the content and controls are accessibly labeled,
(meaning JAWS can read them correctly) then, the student might be able to
navigate the interface using the Touch Cursor in JAWS. The command to
activate the Touch Cursor is Shift+NumPad Plus. When the Touch Cursor is
activated, the student can navigate the screen using the left and right
arrows on the keyboard, then activate elements using Enter. The Touch cursor
allows users to explore/navigate content similarly to using a touch screen
with the swipe gesture. The Touch Cursor can also make it possible to read
static and dynamic text which can not be accessed by tabbing. While using
the Touch Cursor is not ideal, it may provide better access to spss for the
student.

Another possible solution might be using the Mouse Echo feature in JAWS.
This allows users to read, navigate and interact with the computer using a
physical mouse or touch pad. There is some basic information about using
Mouse Echo at https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/topic/mouse_echo_layer/5051436

I hope this was helpful.

Tristen Breitenfeldt

<http://www.freedomscientific.com/Certification>