[Athen] Website accessibility

glen walker glen.walker at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 09:28:58 PDT 2022

The general result of many WCAG success criteria is that they don't define
*exactly* what passes or fails. This is where experience comes in but is
still subjective. All I was saying is that when you click on a link, you
expect a change of context. That's the whole point of a link. Does WCAG
require notifying the user that it opens in the same tab vs a new tab?
Again, subjective. The "change of context
<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#dfn-change-of-context>" link within the
normative definition of WCAG 3.2.2 makes the definition normative too. And
that definition includes other definitions (user agent, viewport, and
content) which makes those definitions normative. So you're getting closer
to having an *exact* meaning but not quite. For example, the viewport
definition <https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#dfn-viewport> is "object in which
the user agent presents content". That seems kind of vague. And then
a subsequent
note <https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#h-note-139> says "Viewports include
windows, frames, loudspeakers, and virtual magnifying glasses".
Loudspeakers? They lost me there. But "windows", maybe that's closer to
what we're talking about.

So I try to be careful if I state that WCAG *requires* something or doesn't
require something in absolute terms. It's usually not that simple.

Should you indicate a link opens in a new window? Does it matter if WCAG
requires it or not? Does WCAG need to be the big stick to convince you to
have a "new window" indicator? What if you just discussed it from a UX
perspective? If you think it'll be good for your user, then do it
(provided it doesn't make the interface inaccessible to some people).