[Athen] Quincy MA (US): Eastern Nazarene College (Christian) hiring Disability Services Coordinator

Lydia X. Z. Brown lydia at autistichoya.com
Fri Aug 19 21:35:39 PDT 2022

Just the messenger:

But to the point of this note, my alma mater Eastern Nazarene College in the
very near-Boston area is seeking a disability services coordinator. When I
attended in the early/mid 80s, they had just begun a disability center, and
I was hired in for my first "real" job. I was amazed that they themselves
reached out to me as a student with visual impairment inviting me to be part
of it. A lot has changed since then, but if you're interested in an
early-career opportunity at an extremely small college, please have a look
and share from enc.edu/careers
<https://enc.edu/jobs/disability-services-coordinator/> Disability Services
Coordinator FYI along with the usual requirements, a statement of faith is
included.

Best wishes,
Elizabeth Sammons

Disability Services Coordinator
Category: Part-time, Staff
Application Deadline: Until Filled
Jul 12, 2022

Eastern Nazarene College, a fully accredited Christian liberal arts college
on Boston’s south shore, is seeking a part-time (*approximately 20 hours
during the academic year and limited hours as needed during the summer*)
Disability Services Coordinator who will serve as the primary service
provider for students with disabilities, coordinate the delivery of
accommodations, and be the resource to the campus community on disability
and accessibility-related issues. Reporting to the Executive Director of
the Center for Student Enrichment (CSE), the Disability Services
Coordinator is responsible for collaborating with various offices in
developing and implementing policies and procedures to ensure equal access
for students with disabilities in compliance with Section 504 of the
Rehabilitation Act and ADA Laws.

*How-to-apply*

Please submit your resume, along with a cover letter, and provide a
statement of faith – a brief statement that describes your Christian
commitment and your participation in a faith community – to careers at enc.edu.

RESPONSIBILITIES:

Manage a caseload of students with a wide range of disabilities and
determine appropriate student accommodation that ensures equal access for
students with disabilities in compliance with Section 504 of the
Rehabilitation Act and ADA Laws

- Serve as a point-person for student success and engagement for
students with disabilities.
- Conduct documentation review for new students and present ideas
regarding reasonable accommodation to the Executive Director of the CSE,
including note-taking services and adaptive technology recommendations
- Interpret and ensure compliance with local, state, and federal laws as
they apply to disability and post-secondary educational environments.
- Conduct one-on-one meetings each semester to discuss accommodations
with students. Review course syllabi to determine appropriate
accommodations for classes.
- Create and send accommodation to students, faculty, and necessary
parties.
- Respond to questions from students and faculty about accommodations
and direct concerns, complaints, or disagreements.
- Work with CSE staff to digitize student files.
- Send out emails to students and professors, welcome emails to new
students, and welcome back letters to prior students.
- Answer questions about the accommodation process for students (and
parents or guardians).
- Send reminder emails regarding documentation updates, semester
academic accommodation process, and other communications to current
students.
- Work with the Career and Professional Development Office to provide
updates on job opportunities and resources for students with disabilities.

*Manage Testing Appointments.*

- Work with CSE staff to schedule and manage testing rooms for students
using testing accommodations.
- Communicate with professors and students, ensuring the delivery and
return of all exams.

*Coordinate the implementation of campus support systems and programs for
students with disabilities*

- Create and implement a Disability Affinity Group for students with
disabilities. This includes creating all marketing, sending out
communications, booking event space, and leading the event.
- Support students in resolving disability and accessibility-related
issues that may be barriers to academic success; refer students to
appropriate campus and community resources.
- Provide training for faculty/staff on developing accessible learning
environments.
- Provide resources, information, and advice for faculty working with
students with disabilities to assist with assessment, curriculum
development, and the adoption of Universal Design principles.
- Assess the effectiveness of disability program services and
activities. Develop and revise policies and procedures as appropriate.
- Assist with housing and meal plan accommodations

Other

- Adhoc assignments may include assisting with Accessibility audits and
creating accessible versions of printed material, completing data entry,
running reports, creating semester and year-end reports, and updating
promotional materials such as student and faculty handbooks, student forms,
etc.

*EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE:*

- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s Degree in Special Education or a related
field preferred
- Three or more years’ experience working with a variety of disabilities
and medical conditions in an academic or business setting, with experience
in coordinating accessibility services and accommodations
- Solid understanding of accommodations, including adaptive technology,
auxiliary aids, and services, as defined by Section 504 of the
Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and other
state and federal regulations.
- Effective interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
- Experience with data management software preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize work
with multiple and competing interests.
- Foster a strong and vibrant personal-Christian faith that integrates
the following Mission and Vision Statement, and the Defining Values of
Eastern Nazarene College in every aspect of the work environment

*Who We Are*

Eastern Nazarene College is a fully accredited Christian liberal arts
college and member of the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities
(CCCU) with approximately 1,000 students distributed across residential
undergraduate, graduate, and adult studies programs. Nestled in a
residential neighborhood minutes from downtown Boston, the college’s
picturesque New England campus is a window into the world. While our
faculty are leaders in their fields, actively involved in publishing and
research, they are devoted to teaching and mentoring students in a
nurturing, spiritually informed, and academically supportive environment.
Students are encouraged to travel, engage in service projects, and
participate in internship experiences as a part of their education. Through
their classes, work experiences in Boston, and mission trips around the
world, students are challenged to open their minds and hearts, preparing
them for a lifetime of meaningful work and service to our nation and the
world.

Applicants should be committed Christians and active in a local church.
Preference in hiring is given to those with Wesleyan convictions and
background, though qualified applicants from other Christian traditions
will be considered as well. www.enc.edu

*Mission*
Eastern Nazarene College provides a transformational education that equips
diverse students to lead and serve our world as agents of Christ’s love and
truth.

*Vision*
Eastern Nazarene College will be widely-recognized as a leader in
innovative Christian education, renowned for excellence in student
achievement, vibrant intercultural community, and global impact

*Values*

- Holistic education: We provide a holistic educational experience in
the liberal arts and professional studies that integrates spiritual,
academic, emotional, and social development.
- Christian community: We facilitate the building of loving
relationships so that we reflect the Spirit of Christ in our life together.
- Student-centered: We orient our work around the success of our
students, making every effort to be responsive to the unique needs,
aspirations, and backgrounds of each one.
- Wesleyan: Consistent with our rich Wesleyan holiness tradition, we
create and maintain an environment which awakens and fosters truth,
righteousness, and justice as made possible by God’s transforming grace
through Jesus Christ.
- Civility and hospitality: We intentionally welcome and embrace people
from diverse cultures, viewpoints, and faith traditions.
- Servanthood: We model servant leadership to our students and community
by building a culture of listening, respect, encouragement, and support.
- Authenticity and transparency: We are deliberately honest in our
relationships, candid in our communication, and transparent in our
governance in order to foster trust and confidence.
- Excellence: In an effort to provide “the best in education and the
best in Christian faith,” we strive for excellence that honors God in all
our endeavors.
- Strategic innovation: While remaining deeply rooted in our mission, we
are boldly creative and innovative in the methods we employ.
- Accountability: We keep promises, honor commitments, meet and exceed
expectations, and are willing to be held accountable for the faithful
fulfillment of our responsibilities.

*Lifestyle Guidelines*

Our lifestyle guidelines reflect the mission of Eastern Nazarene College
and *Manual* *of* *the* *Church* *of* *the Nazarene, *including the *Agreed
Statement of Belief, The Covenant of Christian Character *and *The Covenant
of Christian Conduct.* The premise of our lifestyle guidelines is to
exemplify such personal, moral, and religious conduct as shall be above
reproach. This lifestyle premise is for everyone working and living on
campus: students, faculty, staff, and administration. This lifestyle
premise is a rationale for desirable behavior and attitudes.

We, as a Christian community, commit ourselves to the admonition of the
Apostle Paul that we build our community up in love for each other. We will
actively endeavor to be supportive and caring for each other in spite of
whatever differences may develop concerning the operation of the College.
While honest differences may exist and be vigorously debated, the College
will not condone personal attacks on other members of the community.

To be in accord with the purposes and spirit of the College and with the
doctrines and standards of the Church of the Nazarene, our lifestyle
practices exclude: engaging in sexual acts outside of Christian marriage as
defined by the Church of the Nazarene, the use of pornography, any acts of
abuse, bullying or harassment, the use of profanity, gambling, theft,
dishonesty, using tobacco in any form, participation in the occult and any
other behavior that is detrimental to authentic Christian community and the
maintenance of an atmosphere conducive to abundant life.

The historic understanding of ENC and the Church of the Nazarene with
respect to alcohol is that abstinence best reflects our commitments to
Christ, to our community and to holy living. This position is rooted in our
acknowledgement of the destructive consequences in individuals, families
and communities that can stem from the use of alcohol and demonstrates our
commitment to standing in solidarity with those who have suffered from
these consequences. As a result, it continues to be our strong preference
that all employees abstain from the use of alcoholic beverages. However, we
respect the fact that our employees come from a variety of denominational
backgrounds that may not share this commitment to abstinence. Our
expectation, therefore, is that all employees will abide by the behavioral
commitments of their local church, will avoid drunkenness, and will under
no circumstances possess, use, promote or distribute alcoholic beverages on
campus, at any college event, or in the presence of students.

Additionally, ENC prohibits the possession, use, distribution or
manufacture of illegal drugs and recreational marijuana, and the misuse of
prescription drugs.

The College expects all employees to live by this lifestyle premise. We ask
for an understanding of the need for lifestyle standards, a good spirit in
keeping them, and cooperative efforts in improving them. As ENC employees,
we ask you to consider the larger picture that what we do and the manner in
which we do it reflects on ENC and affects the life of our entire
community. We encourage prayerful discernment in all decision-making, as
our desire is to glorify God in all our efforts.

*Equal Opportunity*
Eastern Nazarene College policy prohibits discrimination on the basis of
race, sex, religion*, age, color, creed, national or ethnic origin, marital
status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected class in
all aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote,
discipline, or discharge. We actively encourage applications from
underrepresented groups.*

*Christian Faith and employment at Eastern Nazarene College: Eastern
Nazarene College is an expression of the Church of the Nazarene. It
reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (Title VII,
Section 702-703, U.S. Civil Rights Act of 1964). Preferred candidates
demonstrate a strong commitment to the Christian faith, active
participation in a local church, and a philosophy of Christian higher
education consistent with the Wesleyan tradition.