[Athen] Seeing a chalk board

foreigntype at gmail.com foreigntype at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 19:38:52 PDT 2022

Lorraine,
In similar circumstances we’ve used a small portable USB camera on a
moveable/adjustable tripod connected to the student’s laptop. Student took
shots of the board & saved to their laptop. Notetaker might be able (paid?)
to coordinate their notes with the board shots the student’s taken. Or some
creative, functional combo!

This IPEVO from Perkins is at the higher end of the tech. It’s portable,
works with a variety of computer OS, has a low learning curve and can be
used as a document camera (for scanning handouts into their laptop for
magnification, or focused across the classroom to capture a photo of the
board (whiteboard or chalk):
https://www.perkins.org/resource/ipevo-camera-near-and-distance-viewing/

Or consider some lower tech models as simple as using a smartphone mounted
on a small adjustable tripod & connected to the student’s laptop. Student
can take images of the whiteboard/chalkboard, import directly to their
laptop to save, and use enlargement software as needed. There are remote
control switches available. This can also be combined with the use of
Microsoft OneNote for the notes and images.

I’m sure you’ll get more suggestions from the list. Hopefully this is a
place for you to start.

Wink Harner

On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 5:41 PM Norwich, Lorraine S <lnorwich at bu.edu> wrote:

> Dear All,

> We have a Visually Impaired student who is going to be in a business

> calculus class this semester. The instructor uses the chalk board and we

> are worried about how she is going to see the board. We are going to have

> a note taker but it would be nice if she could follow on the chalk board

> while the class is going on.

> Any ideas that you can share with me would be great.

> Thanks

> Lorraine

> Lorraine S. Norwich, BSME, MSIS

> Assistant Director of Disability & Access Services

> 25 Buick Street 3rd Floor, Boston MA 02215

> <https://www.google.com/maps/search/25+Buick+Street+3rd+Floor,+Boston+MA+02215?entry=gmail&source=g>

> lnorwich at bu.edu (email)

> 617-353-3658 (vox)

> 617-353-9646 (fax)

> www.bu.edu/disability (website)

Wink Harner Assistive Technology Consulting and Training Alternative Text
Production Portland OR. foreigntype at gmail.com 480-984-0034