[Athen] Alternatives to Read&Write

Susan Kelmer Susan.Kelmer at colorado.edu
Thu Feb 10 06:38:43 PST 2022

We are a Kurzweil campus, and costs are a little less than TextHelp, I think. Of course we have WAY more seats than we need, which continues to be a bone of contention with me regarding both KZ and R&W. We don't need a license for every student on campus. We need licenses for less than 150 students on our campus. Our campus population is ~36K. Both of these companies need to listen to us in higher ed - we are not K-12.

Anyway, Kurzweil will handle PDFs and Word files, even TIFF and Jpegs. It will handle epubs but not well, unfortunately. I usually turn ePubs into something else. Kurzweil has a plug-in for Chrome (and other browsers) but it won't read everything. The Kurzweil web-based portal will read most things, but again, ePubs are going to be a problem. You would likely be cobbling together some Frankenstein mess of apps to cover every need, unfortunately. As "born accessible" as ePubs are touted to be, they really aren't until the TTS software catches up and reads them properly.

I don't dislike Kurzweil, but I wish it read math, and handle ePubs well, and give us better navigation with large PDFs, rather than us having to break them into chapters before sending them to the student.

Susan Kelmer
Alternate Format Production Program Manager
Disability Services
Division of Student Affairs
T 303 735 4836
www.colorado.edu/disabilityservices<http://www.colorado.edu/disabilityservices>

[cid:image001.png at 01D598AC.79FC1C60]

Due to the nature of electronic communication, the security of this message cannot be guaranteed. If you've received this email in error please notify the sender immediately and delete this message.