[Athen] Kurzweil vs Texthelp? Or both?

Michael Nakai michaelnakai at weber.edu
Fri Feb 18 14:57:56 PST 2022

Hello,

Our university has already been on board the Kurzweil bus for a while, but
one of our students has sent our office information on NaturalReader. First
glance, it looks similar in capabilities to Kurzweil; the website says it's
free to educational institutions. So I set up an account to see how it
matches up. I haven't had much time to work with it because of short
staffing and more of my time is spent taking on extra duties.

But it looks like it's free for the first year as indicated by a countdown.
But site licensing looks like it's a per seat among other options. Here is
the website to look it over:
https://www.naturalreaders.com/edu.html

I hope this helps,

On Fri, Feb 18, 2022 at 1:51 PM Susan Kelmer <Susan.Kelmer at colorado.edu>
wrote:

> Both Kurzweil and TextHelp are expensive, and you can no longer just buy a

> “handful” of licenses that you can install individually on a few student

> machines. Kurzweil will sell you a big chunk of seat licenses; Texthelp

> insists that you purchase a seat for every person on your campus – aka the

> cost is based on the population of your campus. The more enrollment, the

> higher the cost.

> Both of these entities continue to work (and thrive) on a model that works

> for K-12 (access for all), but does not work as well for higher ed.

> Students who do not need TTS are not going to use a TTS tool. They just

> are not. There is not enough education/outreach that would make more

> students use it. I have 100 students getting alternate format, maybe 70 of

> them actually use the license. Yet, I’m paying for 5000 seats for Kurzweil.

> As to which is better, this is definitely a YMMV situation. I like the

> tools in Texthelp and it does a good job with ePubs. It has the math

> component (EquatIO) if you want to pay the extra for it. It’s overlay-type

> toolbar makes it more functional across software and platforms. I do like

> that.

> Kurzweil still has a long way to go to catch up with STEM reading, and it

> is still a “closed” environment and won’t read everything. But in the end,

> the cost difference is huge – Kurzweil is 5 times cheaper than Texthelp.

> So we stick with Kurzweil.

> *Susan Kelmer *

> Alternate Format Production Program Manager

> Disability Services

> Division of Student Affairs

> *T* 303 735 4836

> *www.colorado.edu/disabilityservices

> <http://www.colorado.edu/disabilityservices> *

> [image: cid:image001.png at 01D598AC.79FC1C60]

> *Due to the nature of electronic communication, the security of this

> message cannot be guaranteed. If you’ve received this email in error please

> notify the sender immediately and delete this message. *

Michael Nakai
Adaptive Technology

*Weber State University Disability Services*
3885 West Campus Drive Dept 1129
Ogden, Utah 84408-1129
(801) 626-6413

*Disability Services is open and we are operating under WSU's COVID-19
protocols for as long as necessary and that we encourage virtual
appointments whenever possible.*

*Be aware that some calls coming from our office may appear as Private or
No Caller ID. Also please review CDC Guidelines and stay home if you are
not feeling well. Monitor your symptoms, you can change to a virtual
appointment if needed. **For inquiries about testing accommodation call
801-626-6896 <8016266896> or email **dsctesting at weber.edu
<dsctesting at weber.edu>. **Our website weber.edu/disabilityservices
<http://weber.edu/disabilityservices> for the most up-to-date information
about our department. Visit the WSU website for the most up to date
information concerning COVID-19,
https://www.weber.edu/coronavirus/default.html
<https://www.weber.edu/coronavirus/default.html> *

*This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and
may contain privileged or confidential information. Unauthorized use,
distribution, review or disclosure is prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient, please call me at (801)626-6413 <8016266413> and
destroy this and all copies of this message.*