[Athen] Math coursework for blind student

Romack, Justin justinr at disability.tamu.edu
Tue Jan 4 15:38:08 PST 2022

Howdy y'all!

Happy new year - and best wishes as you start a new semester!

We have a blind student who has added a math class to their schedule this spring. I feel like we have some logistical hurdles to jump in the next two weeks: (1) The textbook (which I have as a PDF), (2) Lecture notes (which I also have a PDF), (3) Individual and groupwork assignments (which are still being developed), and (4) Assessments in Canvas.

This student is not proficient with screen reading tech anyway, but has said Nemeth Braille is the only modality they've been able to use for math in the past.

I'd be curious if you can share input on the following:

1. Best workflow for readying math content in a PDF to transcription in Braille.

2. Best methods for a student to complete their work in Nemeth Braille and have this transcribed to print.

3. Resources on audio-based scientific and graphing calculators, whether a physical unit or digital option.

4. Recommendations for Braille transcription vendors (sending off-list may work best).

I am a little concerned about the turnaround time, especially considering the volume of material and the amount of content we will not have access to ahead of the semester, but hopeful y'all have some good resources and processes to consider.

Grateful for the collective wisdom of this group!

Best,

Justin Romack | Assistive Technology Coordinator
Disability Resources | Texas A&M University
1224 TAMU | College Station, TX 77843-1224

ph: 979.845.1637 | justinr at disability.tamu.edu<mailto:justinr at disability.tamu.edu> | disability.tamu.edu