[Athen] Question about headings

glen walker glen.walker at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 10:25:10 PST 2022

The question was more about skipping heading levels as opposed to the
usefulness of headings.

Yes, you can skip levels if it makes logical sense. If you have a main h1
and then a few sub h2's, then if any of those h2's need a sub-sub-heading,
then don't skip and use an h4. It's not a technical WCAG failure but an h3
would make sense at that point.

However, if you have h1 and h2's and some pages have an h3 and then you
have h4's in your footer, then if you have a page with only an h1 and an
h2, then it's ok to have h4's in the footer without having any h3's on the
page.