[Athen] Placing long image descriptions within course materials.

Matthew Deeprose M.Deeprose at soton.ac.uk
Tue Jul 5 04:17:55 PDT 2022

Hello colleagues

For complex images like charts and graphs, the W3C recommend writing long descriptions.<https://www.w3.org/WAI/tutorials/images/complex/>

I'm interested to learn how you deal with long image descriptions in course materials, for example in PowerPoint and Word documents that are uploaded to a Learning Management System like Blackboard / Canvas / Moodle etc.

For example, if you write long descriptions do you use the alt text box, or do you add it to speaker notes or a hidden slide (in PowerPoint), or an appendix or supplementary document?

Does anyone have any examples to share of course content that includes long descriptions of complex images?

I researched and delivered a presentation on this topic recently<https://matthewdeeprose.github.io/alt-text-images-charts-graphs>, it uses a number of worked examples on how to write long descriptions, I'm really interested to learn some practical examples of how others are placing long descriptions within course materials.

Thanks

Matt

This email has been checked for accessibility. Want to know how to make your email accessible?<https://generic.wordpress.soton.ac.uk/digital-learning/2020/11/23/how-can-i-improve-accessibility-of-my-emails/>

Matthew Deeprose
He/Him/His<https://pronoun.is/he>
Digital Learning<https://generic.wordpress.soton.ac.uk/digital-learning/>
iSolutions