[Athen] Placing long image descriptions within course materials.

kerscher at montana.com kerscher at montana.com
Tue Jul 5 06:23:28 PDT 2022

Hello,

For published materials that have long descriptions, also called extended
descriptions, the two recommendations are to put the extended description
inside a HTML or XHTML details element, which can be expanded and collapsed.
The other recommendation is to have a link directly below the image to
another place in the publication. With this second type, there must also be
a back link to the exact location where you started.

These are tested at epubtest.org using the test book:

https://www.epubtest.org/books/Accessibility-Tests-Extended-Descriptions-v1.
1.1.epub

Note now that NVDA and Jaws supports the aria-details attribute, we will
soon be updating the best practice to include this attribute in the image.
This alerts the reader that there is indeed a long description associated
with the image. If there is no aria-details, then the alt text is
sufficient.

Best

George

Oh, and you can go to epubtest.org to check out all the reading systems that
pass these tests, along with all the other test books, like support for
MathML.

Best

George