[Athen] VPAT?

glen walker glen.walker at gmail.com
Fri May 13 10:51:08 PDT 2022

It'd be nice if, when comparing multiple VPATs, you could get a "score" and
then just choose the highest score but it doesn't work like that.

You could potentially tally up the number of "supports", "partially
supports" and "does not support" values and maybe create a score. But a
VPAT with a lot of "partially supports" might actually be more accessible
than a product with a lot of "supports" if the latter also has a lot of
"does not support". The "not applicable" values should count against a
product.

With a WCAG 2.1 VPAT/ACR, you should have 30 rows in the A table and 20
rows in the AA tables (50 combined).

Suppose the VPAT has 25 "supports", 15 "partially supports", 7 "does not
support", and 3 "not applicable". Is that a 50% score? 25 "supports" out
of a total of 50? The "partially supports" should also help the "score".

It's a tough call. Ideally, the product with the most "supports" and
"partially supports" should win.

But you might have to evaluate the "does not support" items. It could be
that the parts that aren't supported are in a part of the product that you
won't be using, so the fact that it doesn't work doesn't matter.

Sometimes you have to pick the product that is "least worst". That is, all
the VPATs could be bad but if that's all you have to choose from, try to
use the one that sucks the least. But hopefully if that happens, you have
the option of choosing none of them and doing more research for other
products.

Glen
https://www.linkedin.com/in/glen-walker/