[Athen] Acronyms and abbreviations for alt text, full descriptions, and body text and screen readers

Matthew Deeprose M.Deeprose at soton.ac.uk
Fri May 20 03:30:42 PDT 2022

Hello colleagues

I'm interested to learn what you recommend for writing acronyms and abbreviations in different circumstances to ensure those who use screen readers or who use alternative formats such as the audio format from Blackboard Ally get a good experience.

For example, in alternative text and full image descriptions, I usually recommend separating acronyms, expanding abbreviations, and writing chemical notation in the way they sound, for example.

Nanometres instead of nm
C O 2 instead of CO2
I Q instead of IQ
For example instead of e.g.

But what about when you consider the full body text? At that point do you perhaps explain acronyms and abbreviations first and then continue using them, and put spaces or periods between acronyms.

With a little light testing of NVDA, Immersive Reader, and Ally's audio format I've had varying results. I'm interested to learn what you recommend to your colleagues, and whether if varies depending on the type of text, for example body text, alternative text, full description for complex images, and so on.

Thanks for any tips you can share.

Matt

This email has been checked for accessibility. Want to know how to make your email accessible?<https://generic.wordpress.soton.ac.uk/digital-learning/2020/11/23/how-can-i-improve-accessibility-of-my-emails/>

Matthew Deeprose
He/Him/His<https://pronoun.is/he>
Digital Learning<https://generic.wordpress.soton.ac.uk/digital-learning/>
iSolutions