[Athen] Why cannot accessibility experts do their job?

Deborah Armstrong armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu
Fri May 27 08:35:43 PDT 2022

I enrolled for a beginning course on Python from Harvard, with a LMS maintained by Edx. I had trouble figuring out how to make the environment where homework is accepted accessible to me, a screen reader user. It’s frustrating that their accessibility expert simply redirected me and that I am stuck myself figuring out partial solutions – see my correspondence below.
At the college where I work, we’ve seen quite a few screen reader users fail or drop courses because nobody knows much about accessibility. I do what I can to troubleshoot issues and find work-arounds but I’m just an advanced level screen reader user, not an accessibility expert myself nor was I hired to be one. It’s really the manufacturers of products who should be confirming accessibility or the platform maintainers who should be working on this.
In the example below, I knew beforehand the platform was accessible, but one aspect is tricky and I haven’t fully figured it out yet.