[Athen] article advocating for PDFs in College & Research Libraries News

Steve Green steve.green at testpartners.co.uk
Mon Sep 12 07:28:28 PDT 2022

Of course I know about maths/STEM. It was the sentence construction that I didn’t understand – it doesn’t make sense. If you interpret it as meaning “advocating for PDF is presently equivalent to advocating that STEM articles do not need to be accessible” then I would agree with it. But that’s not what I am advocating.

I advocate using the most appropriate document format for the content type, audience and use case. HTML is usually the best, but not always. PDF is usually second best, but there are things it can’t do. Word is usually the worst choice (other than ODF and PowerPoint), but it can do a few things that you can’t do in HTML or PDF. It’s important that authors understand the abilities and limitations of all these formats and use them appropriately.

Unless someone works in a very narrow field, it is unlikely that any one document format will be the most appropriate for every document they produce. If they use Word for all documents, it’s likely to be a sub-optimal choice for some of them.

Steve