[Athen] Best practices for developing a public-facing employee directory?

Monica Olsson molsson at sbctc.edu
Fri Sep 16 12:38:20 PDT 2022

Hello all,

I am working with a Web and Communications team at one of the schools in my state. They have asked me for best practices and examples of accessibly designed employee directories that are public facing on a college website.

Can you point me towards good examples that you are aware of, code snippets, or any other educational resources?

I'm aware that employee directories are different that static web pages and present additional accessibility items for us to consider, though since I am not a developer myself, I would appreciate any help this group can offer me! Things I understand that a dev team needs to consider include:

* Directories pull from a back-end database that is constantly changing and being updated.
* Public-facing directors likely require additional security.
* The search bar/button functionality is critical and must be labeled correctly for accessibility.
* If developed by an in-house team, developers may only have access to limited libraries and frameworks
* The results page layout is critical for usability and may not function as a traditional results page, I think? What is the most accessible and usable way to develop and design a results page for an employee directory?

Thank you!

[Title: SBCTC logo - Description: Compass]

Monica M. Olsson (she/her/hers)

Policy Associate – Accessible IT Coordinator

molsson at sbctc.edu<mailto:molsson at sbctc.edu> • o: 360-704-3922 • c: 206-914-7187

sbctc.edu<https://www.sbctc.edu/> • Twitter: @SBCTCWashington<https://twitter.com/SBCTCWashington> • Facebook: @WASBCTC<https://www.facebook.com/wasbctc/>