[Athen] [EXTERNAL] - Pros and cons of Able Player

Hayman, Douglass dhayman at olympic.edu
Fri Aug 4 10:44:15 PDT 2023

Steve,

I used to share an office with Terrill Thompson at UW. He'd used that when he'd come down from Bellingham to work on the Seattle UW campus.

Terrill helped create the AblePlayer and could speak to that implementation challenge. I think that at some point UWTV struggled to implement that while many other campus units used YouTube. Might have been more of a staffing resource issue at that time as they went from a more fully staffed group to one who contracted it on a per-project basis for films.

I went through the Trusted Tester training and certification and they use AblePlayer. And Deque University which I'm enrolled in also uses AblePlayer so one of those two organizations could speak to the process as well.

Doug Hayman
IT Accessibility Coordinator
Information Technology
Olympic College