[Athen] Advice on German foreign language learning for blind student

Adina Mulliken am2621 at hunter.cuny.edu
Tue Feb 21 14:54:46 PST 2023

Hi everyone,
I’m interested in finding out about materials and strategies for a blind student who may want to learn German. My understanding is the student uses a screen reader but we don’t know which one yet. We don’t know if they read Braille. We don’t know what course materials the professor uses yet, but we’re trying to begin learning about what might be involved with obtaining and converting appropriate materials.

I understand that popular screen readers can read German. I’ve looked through athen listserv’s archives and found a few relevant posts, although I probably could have searched further. I looked on Bookshare and found 74 results came up under foreign language learning materials in German and available in the United States.

Does anyone have additional advice?

Here are the links I found on this listserv in case anyone wants to know

* http://mailman12.u.washington.edu/mailman/htdig/athen-list/2019-July/015345.html
* http://mailman12.u.washington.edu/mailman/htdig/athen-list/2019-July/015325.html
“German contracted Braille for example is just as complex as our grade 2, and though I speak German I read the contractions with great difficulty. This is because I only learned it for a year when I was nineteen so I’m terrible at it.
But reading German by setting my display to use the computer Braille table is easy for me because it is just the alphabet and the special accented letters.”

* http://mailman12.u.washington.edu/mailman/htdig/athen-list/2019-November/015820.html

Thank you!
Adina

Adina Mulliken
Associate Professor, Librarian Silberman Social Work and Urban Public Health Library
Hunter College, City University of New York
2180 3rd Ave. New York, NY
Phone 212-396-7665
Pronouns she/her