[Athen] Flip Cards in Canvas

Joshua Hori jhori at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jun 30 15:44:39 PDT 2023

Hello Heather,

I see there’s a “.flip-card:hover”, which is a mouse activity, but it’s missing other input types such as tabbing and tapping (focus). Here’s an article that discusses this more: https://css-tricks.com/focusing-on-focus-styles/

Here’s a really quick to read article on adding ARIA instructions using id’s, with the third example best fitting your flip cards: https://www.tpgi.com/using-aria-describedby-to-provide-helpful-form-hints/ You may want to at least add “1 out of xxx” to inform the user how many cards there are.

The flip cards should be accessible to any user with the above implemented, with the exception of dictation. I’m failing to see how to activate a card without the use of “Show Numbers”. These numbers are very small when viewing webpages through a VR headset. The VR controllers and hands do not interact with your monitors, you have to use either your voice or the mouse connected to your computer. Most of the times the mouse wins, but I get so happy when it reacts to my voice.

I have a Macbook Pro and use Meta Workspaces as it’s the only VR app that works on eduroam. It feels similar to working in Zoom all the time. Distraction free environments for LD users and dictation testing.

I intern developmentally disabled students from our SEED program<https://redwoodseed.ucdavis.edu/> to assist with usability testing. They’re perfect for identifying keyboard issues and I’m building them up for dictation testing.

Best,

Joshua Hori
Accessible Technology Coordinator
Information Educational Technology