[Athen] Library training module on accessibility

kerscher at montana.com kerscher at montana.com
Thu May 11 13:55:16 PDT 2023

Dear Higher Education Community,

Sorry for cross posting.

For those of you with contacts in your library, I suggest you forward this
to them. It is an accessibility training module designed for librarians
funded by the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS). The
librarians will know IMLS very well!

In addition, I suggest you look at this for its applicability for training
of DSO staff. It covers a lot of the basics about print disabilities and how
persons with disabilities access digital information. It goes into detail
about Assistive Technology on all platforms for all disability groups.

If anybody has comments or suggestions, they are most welcome. It will
undergo a revision in the next few months; we have already received
comments, and if you get them in soon, the improvements may be integrated.

***

We are looking for people to pilot the Reading for Accessibility training
module for library staff that we created with funding from the IMLS.

If you could forward to your staff and/or any other communication channels
you utilize that target library staff that would be helpful. The audience is
any library staff person who interacts with patrons.

The module can be found on the Reading for Accessibility Page
<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2flibguides.ctstatelibrar
y.org%2fdld%2fReadingForAccessibility&c=E,1,4a8Ju1rZoHflJLZOSGmWWGBWLDhZ8Rbc
syIB3ogBeaUsVlIjurjZTrgLI7Mdd7oYvqoetggp6lUOVJBh8atAbYsTqXQ7YFR8BGUUZMkXTMru
EsLbsNfj1g,,&typo=1> , and we ask that people who review it fill out a brief
feedback survey.

If there ay questions, you can direct them to me.

Best

George

George Kerscher Ph.D.

-In our Information Age, access to information is a fundamental human right.

Chief Innovations Officer, DAISY Consortium

<http://www.daisy.org/> http://www.daisy.org

Senior Advisor, Global Literacy, Benetech

<http://www.benetech.org/> http://www.benetech.org

President, International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF)

<http://www.idpf.org/> http://www.idpf.org

Chair Steering Council Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI), at W3C

<http://www.w3.org/WAI> http://www.w3.org/WAI

Phone: +1 406/549-4687

Cell:+1 406/544-2466

Email: <mailto:kerscher at montana.com> kerscher at montana.com